WORK AT HOME MOM LIFE: 5 TIPS TO KEEP YOUR SANITY
Note: This post contains affiliate links. This means that I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you subscribe or purchase something through the links provided. You will never see me post a link to a product or service that I don’t use myself or truly love! (Learn more here)
I have wanted to write a post like this for SO LONG! I’ve been a work from home mom for 3.5 years now.
It has been a STRUGGLE!
WHAT I LOVE
First, what I love:
- LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being able to stay home with my preschooler. I started the work from home journey when he was 18 months old and now he’s 4. I am so grateful that I got the opportunity to stay home and see all his milestones.
- Flexibility: Hello! I’m not a morning person. I love waking up at 8am or 9am instead of 5:30am like when I was in the corporate world.
- I’m my own boss! I love being able to make any appointments I need to, run errands and more based on my personal schedule. No more checking with the boss for time off.
Photo credit: Someecards.com
- The day is unpredictable. I’ve learned to live with that. I like to have a schedule but you might not get that being a work from home mom. I work from home but I’m a mama above all else. Plus, even with having a “loose schedule”, I much prefer this to the rigid structure of working for someone else.
- Late nights: Ah, the life of the entrepreneur. 16 and 18 hour days are THE TRUTH! Sometimes you really do trade in a 40 hour workweek for a 90 hour one.
- Being glued to mobile devices: At one point I was glued to my cell phone. ALL THE TIME, even during leisure stuff like watching movies with the family or dinner.
I learned a lot about myself being an entrepreneur and have mapped out my success tips that I’m gonna share in hopes of it helping others maintain their sanity being a momtrepreneur.
FIVE TIPS TO KEEP YOUR SANITY BEING A WORK FROM HOME MOM
Photo credit: Someecards.com
- MAKE A GOALS SHEET: This doesn’t need to be fancy mamas. Mine is jotted down with Evernote. You can write these goals in a little notebook, spreadsheet, whatever floats your boat. This helps me stay organized and actually get stuff done. I don’t know how many projects have gotten delayed by months just because I didn’t write it down. Sheesh.
- BLOCK OUT TIME: For a long time, I’d fit in work here and there when I could. I hate working like this. Now, I block out time. I wake up early before my son gets up and work quietly for a few hours. Then at naptime I work for another couple hours and then finally at night, I knock out at least 4 hours of work.
- USE A TIMER: I get the opportunity to do little work tasks here and there throughout the day when my son plays like, social media stuff, checking emails, etc. I use a timer to help me stay on track. This also helps with mealtimes, naptime, etc.
- APPS HELP: Apps help me out a lot! I use Waterminder to make sure I get my water intake. Evernote is perfect for my note taking because if I don’t write it down, I’ll forget! Simple as that. The Gmail phone app makes it easy for me to quickly check emails. Canva lets me bang out a quick graphic for a blog post. Facebook app for Facebook. These are just a couple I use regularly.
You might enjoy: 10 Productivity Apps to Keep You Organized
5. DO FUN STUFF: I don’t know if it’s just me but I feel guilty sometimes. I feel like work takes away from mommy-son time.
I try to do at least one fun activity during the week to spice up boring home life with my little guy.
Going swimming, to the park, to grandparents house, to aunt or uncles house, shopping, just whatever is fun. It breaks up the schedule and when we’re done, we look forward to come home. Nice feeling.
And there you have it: work at home mom life, 5 tips to keep your sanity! What are your work from home tips?
WEALTHY AFFILIATE: The best beginner blog training I have taken. It spells everything all out! 7 phases total and helps with everything from setting up your blog on platform to PPC advertising to Facebook and more! Truly amazing. Highly recommended.
BLUEHOST: Amazing web hosting starting at as low as $1.95/month! Streamlined set up and easy integration with WordPress. Check out The Foolproof Way to Start a Blog. Bluehost is currently the host used for this blog, Drink Coffee & Prosper. Highly recommended.
CONVERTKIT: Newsletter services to your subscribers AT ITS FINEST! I have to admit, I am not a techie, AT ALL! ConvertKit makes it all so easy. Lots of easy tools, streamlined newsletter creation, affordable packages. It takes me a few minutes to shoot out a newsletter to the blog’s thousands of subscribers. Easy peasy. You’ll love ConvertKit!
BOARDBOOSTER AND TAILWIND: I’ve tried these Super Pinning tools separately but I have BOTH! The minute I made that change, my repins increased by 200X, no joke! I love the features and tools from both. You’ll like the simple, easy navigation of Boardbooster. Not too complicated at all. Tailwind has tribes! Another awesome way to connect and grow your pins exponentially. They are both very affordable. A must have and my secret weapon for exploding my blog pageviews!
MAKING SENSE OF AFFILIATE MARKETING COURSE: Join the ranks of Michelle Schroeder and be on your way to earning $50,000/month in affiliate income like she does! In fact, she had a record SIX FIGURE MONTH in July 2016! Learn from the very best. Read my full review of her course on my post, Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing Reviewed.